Chicken Chili With White Beans, Sweet Potato, and Lime
- Basic Information
When Chili is done the right way it can be a great source of fiber and protein! Here is a great nutritional gluten free chili recipe with a twist!
- Nutritional Information:
- 4 skinless organic chicken breasts
- Sea salt and pepper
- Ground chipotle pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, small dice
- 2-4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, diced
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon GF chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Hot red pepper flakes, season to taste
- ¾ cup tomatillo salsa verde
- 2 15-oz cans organic cannellini or Great Northern white beans, rinsed, drained
- 4 cups low-sodium organic chicken broth
- 2 limes, one juiced for soup and one sliced for garnish
- Chopped parsley, cilantro and fresh lime slices
Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Rinse the chicken breasts and pat dry. Drizzle with olive oil and season both sides with sea salt, pepper and chipotle powder if desired.
Roast the chicken for roughly 30 to 35 minutes until done and no longer pink inside.
In the meantime, start your pot of chili. Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add the red onion and sauté for 5 minutes till softened. Add the garlic and sweet potatoes and cook another 5 minutes until the sweet potatoes soften. Add ginger, cumin, oregano and hot pepper flakes and stir to coat. Add in salsa verde, white beans and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and cover for about 25 minutes.
When the chicken is cooked and cool enough to handle, either shred chicken by hand or cut into cubes based on your texture preference. Add the chicken pieces to the pot and stir gently to warm through.
Squeeze in some fresh lime juice to brighten flavors and stir gently. Taste test for seasoning adjustments. Serve with lime wedges and a sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley and cilantro.
Author: Jessica P. Cooper HHC, AADP, Health Supportive Chef and Nutrition Educator